PHYS0003: Nature of the Universe
The URL of this web page is:
PHYS1650: Nature of the Universe
This general education course is offered by the Physics Department,
The University of Hong Kong in the academic year 2013-2014. It is designed
for students in all disciplines and all years.
No prior knowledge in astronomy, physics or higher mathematics is
required. However, some knowledge in science and mathematics is
We will discuss the observational aspect of astronomy and our
solar system, then our own Sun, stars and their evolution,
white dwarfs, neutron stars and black holes, galaxies and cosmology.
Many activities have been arranged, including some evening observations
and solar observations. Students are expected to actively participate
in these activities. They are also required to do a presentation,
complete several homeworks and attend the examination.
Monday 3:30pm-5:20pm, P1,
Thursday 3:30pm-4:20pm, P1.
Dr. Kai-Ming Lee
Rm 415A, CYM Phys. Buld.
Fax: 2559 9152
Consultation Hr.: Wed. 2-4pm
E. Chaisson and S. McMillan: Astronomy Today, 7th ed., (Pearson
E. Chaisson and S. McMillan: Astronomy Today, 6th ed., (Pearson
E. Chaisson and S. McMillan: Astronomy Today, 5th ed., (Prentice Hall,
J.M. Pasachoff, Astronomy: From the Earth to the Universe,
6th ed., (Brooks/Cole, 2001).
|Homeworks and other small assignments||25%|
Tutors and Graders
|Mr. Wu Yue||CYMP 525||2859 2571|
This is a
for students to discuss everything about these courses. Please note that
- No dirty words;
- No solutions to homeworks before the due dates;
- Please send any complaints or suggestions about these courses directly
to the instructor.
The graded Assignment 1, solar observation and
could be picked up from our General
Office, Rm 518 CYM Phys. Buld.
- Date and Time: Thu., Apr 24, 2014, 1:30pm-3:20pm
- Venue: Rm 522, CYM Phys. Buld.
- This is a question and answer session. If you do not
have any question, you don't have to come.
Due date of the Assignment 4 of
this semester is at 5:00pm, April 25, 2014. Please hand it in
in the classes or put it in the assignment box in 1st floor of
the CYM Phys. Buld. (The one labeled PHYS0001/2.)
- Don't forget to write down your name, university number and your
- Write in your own wordings. Plagiarism will be heavily penalized.
(All suspected cases of plagiarism will be referred to the
Discipline Committee. In some previous cases, students got
reprimand in their official records. You should also protect
your homework from being plagiarized.)
- We accept both hand-written or printed homework.
- Make sure that you have stapled up your homework.
- No late homework is allowed.
- Student Evaluation of Teaching and Learning (SETL):
- Date: Fri., May 16, 2014
- Time: 2:30pm-4:30pm
- Venue: Rm 167 Main Bldg.
- There will be 25 multiple choice questions and 5 short questions.
Students can find the questions and
solution of first semester of
- You will need a calculator.
You could read the acknowledgments and copyright at
Materials from Last Academic Years
The following was assignments of PHYS0001/PHYS0002 for your reference. They
are not very relevant to PHYS0003/PHYS1650.
This homepage is maintained by